Tuesday, November 9, 2010

In which Fred pines after a goat and Elsie takes it easy

This weekend was met with a little drama, as late on Sunday afternoon we had an unexpected visitor come to our front door:

Goat1



Meet Betty the Goat. Apparently she was a feral, let out by farmers a while ago. A quick call around determined that no one wanted her, and suggestions were thrown about such as, 'feed it to the dogs, they can get some good practice', to, eat it yourself!

I finally heard from one neighbour who said he'd been after some goats and would happily take it off our hands if we didn't want it. So next morning we did just that, and drove her up to her new home where she got renamed Betty.

She did however get to spend one night at our place. We put her in the dog run to make sure she didn't wander off, and kept the puppies inside.

Here is Betty inspecting the dog house:

Goat3

And this is what I saw after I took the photo and turned around:

Frednovq

I had to laugh when I saw him, with the condensation around the glass.

Interestingly the dogs didn't make a racket until the goat got nearer to the dog pen. After which Fred started off a bark and Elsie did a low growl. Fascinating to watch/listen.

We put the dogs inside to keep them out of trouble and Elsie promptly forgot all about the goat. Fred, on the other hand, kept up a constant whine, and kept on following me all around the house hoping that I'd let him out.

It was almost as if he was trying to say, "come on mum! I can catch this one! I can help provide for dinner for once! Let me try!!"

Here are the puppies earlier in the day enjoying their bones and generally taking it easy on the weekend (as opposed to during the weekday when they sleep, play, chew on bones and sleep some more)

What a happy chappy..
 
Frednovl


mmMmmm... bone!

Frednov8b

Oh yeah!

Frednov8

Fred: "No, you can't have it. It's MINE!"

Frednov8c

mmMMMmmmm

Frednovk

OHMYGOD It's soooo goood...

Frednovj

Fred: "Yawn, I think I might just go take a nap.."

Frednove

Frednovm

Fred: "Huh? You don't think I should have a nap?"

Frednovf

Fred: "What do you mean I should go and do some work? Hrmpff. I'll just stick my tongue out at you for that suggestion."


Frednovg

Frednov8d

So both dog beds have now been replaced with the new black covers, which cost quite a bit each.  And then I happened to spot this:
 
Frednovn

Fred: "It wasn't me, I swear!"

Frednovo

Elsie?

Elsie: "What are you looking at?"
Frednovp
 
  And then later in the piece, here is my Elsie working *very* hard... 



Frednovr

very, very hard...

Frednovi

Gosh life is tough on the farm..

Frednovh

No comments:

Post a Comment