Thursday, October 18, 2007

my dogs are MONSTERS

A few weeks ago we started working on our garden - specifically a vegie patch. We have a fenced off area down the back of the yard where the previous owners had let their vegie patch run over with grass before they sold. As Fred was fascinated with the compost bin, we moved moved it into the fenced area.

The fence was actually fairly rickety - the previous owners didn't own two big dogs - and within a few days Fred had managed to push down the fence and get into the compost bin again.

So the bf went and reinforced the fence - got new posts, wired it all up, and I started planting vegies in the garden.

The last few weekends we've noticed that some of my plants looked like they'd been eaten, and the compost bin seemed to be routinely attacked. Sometimes just a little gate that's been nudged open. Other times, it's a full scale affair - with it belly up. Yet.... the fence always looked intact. We began to think maybe they were jumping the gate - which is slighty lower than the rest of the fence. So this past weekend the boyfriend put up an extra wire across the very top - making it close to 1 metre of fencing.

I went down this afternoon to check on my plants and water, and discovered to my horror a BIG FAT POO sitting delicately beside my marjoram plant. Oddly enough my marjoram plant looked quite forlorn and wilted - I'm betting from the smell and indignity of having to watch up close and personal a big dog poo in front of it.

Now the compost bin was in much worse shape. Obviously the dogs had been quite hungry/desperate and the bin was lying on its side, its internal contents out for all to see.

It also seems that dill and I will never have a true relationship. I bought some last year, only to have it die on me within the week. This time around I'd bought some more and hoped that since now I have a real vegie garden, and not pots, it would survive. ha!  It too had been pretty much eaten to within an inch of its life. =S

But the worst victim is yet to come. I was very excited 2 weeks ago to discover that the aloe vera plant that we have out the front yard had had a little baby. I dug it out and replanted in a pot. As I was scanning through the debris of my vegie patch sorting out victims and survivors, I suddenly realised the pot where my baby aloe vera plant was supposed to be was EMPTY. It still had dirt in it, BUT NO PLANT. MY DOGS HAD EATEN MY BABY ALOE VERA. BRUTES.

I later found my aloe vera plant a little worse for wear lying out on the grass on the other side. My poor plant. I have replanted, but I don't see it being able to survive...

We think that the dogs are digging under the fence. But the hole seems
so small - and our dogs are so big, I don't see how they could do it.
On top of which we have pots all around the fence.

These days the boyfriend and I feel a lot like Elmer Fudd - We'll Get Dose Wasskally Wabbits - Or in this case, those Dastardly Doggies. You just wait and see.



3 comments:

  1.  "We'll Get Dose Wasskally Wabbits" LOL LOL



    Battle of wits eh? I can't help but imagine the chaos in your garden. And the poop next to your poor Marjoram...

    Geminisc: looking suspiciously at Fred and Rosie....

    Fred and Rosie: We didn't do it Mom! See, we're safe and sound in our garage.



    Heeeheee.... *wipes tears*





    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to redo all the bushes around our house. The builder put in boxwoods and between the late frost last spring and my two lifting on them they look pathetic! My little garden (3 tomato plants) has a gaping hole behind the middle plant and a rose bush out front I put in has another pit of despair. (Their relief from the hot sun?) It's never ending. Our old beagle used to bury things in our garden= found a dirty diaper once and worst was what I thought was a piece of leather or garden glove--- ended up being an animal skin-- teeth were still attached.. Ewww! That one stole everything too--- neighbor's welcome mat, little decorative animals (chewed ears off the rabbits- had to buy more expensive replacements) etc. So embarrassing. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. [this is good] Ahahaha!! LOL...I'm sorry, I shouldn't laugh. But really, how did they get in there?? 

    ReplyDelete