Friday, April 17, 2015

grateful for the little things

Elsie rallied yesterday and started eating.

After watching her refuse raw steak and cat food for two days, I started crying as I watched her wolf down poached chicken and rice soup. It still makes me tear up as I watch her eat. I am trying to offer her small sized portions every few hours. And she seems grateful for the food. Comes up to me afterwards as if to say, 'thanks for that.'

Sweet Elsie girl.

Last night when I came home, she seemed to keep asking for cuddles. She even managed to half roll over for a tummy rub.

I spoke to the Vet yesterday afternoon and he said we could keep her for the weekend and reassess next week.

So instead of us all going down today, Wolfieboy will be going down at 4 to get more drugs for her.

When I asked the Vet to clarify about his decision, he explained that most time dogs with lymphosarcoma don't make it past a week. But there are always exceptions to the rule. I am hoping she is one of those exceptions and I am grateful that she has the capacity to stay with us for a little longer.

I have taken the day off from work today to stay with her. She is currently lying in our living room while we go about our day. It doesn't help that today is rainy. But yesterday was lovely and warm, and I think she enjoyed spending the day outside in her pen. Nothing like routine for a dog to make them feel comfortable and safe.

Either way, I have been warned that this cancer is terminal and that I should be prepared. I'm ok with that. Well, I'm not, but I have to be. But in the mean time, I am grateful for every additional moment that I get to spend with her.

I love you, Elsie.

No comments:

Post a Comment