Thursday, September 27, 2007

the trouble with owning a dog

Rosie chased after a cat last night. Technically not as bad as you'd think. Except that 1. She ran across the road to get it (I'll tell the story in a min), 2. The owner was there, and 3. I have no idea whether or not the cat survived or not.

I've started making a conscious effort to discipline the  dogs about pulling on the lead when walking. I usually stop if they pull, and don't start walking until they turn around and acknowledge me.

Last night she pulled. There was a car driving towards us (we were on the opposite footpath) so I figured that must've been why she'd wanted to go quicker. As I'm standing there holding the lead, Fred, who never pulls, got bored, and started walking around me, twisting the lead as he did so.

As I turn around to try to untangle, somehow the other lead slipped out of my hand. The minute the lead went lax, WHAM, Rosie's pelting across the street. Chasing down a cat. I couldn't believe it.

She must've sniffed it out across the street. I kept on yelling at her to come back but she didn't really listen. Meanwhile, luckily (or unluckily, depending on how you see things) the car that had been driving towards us had already turned into the driveway OF THE HOUSE THE CAT BELONGED TO.

So there's my dog chasing this cat through the brush (and I'm pretty sure she nipped it at one stage), me standing there with freddie still on the lead, screaming "Rosie! Rosie! Come! Rosie!" and the owner sitting in his car refusing to come out.

Eventually the cat pelts across the driveway, and Rosie runs across and I manage to get her attention and back on the lead. The whole time berating BAD DOG, BAD DOG.  *sigh*

I apologised profusely to the owner, and asked if the cat was alright. He didn't seem too worried. But then Freddie spots the cat and lunges. Luckily he's still on the lead. But of course the owner didn't spot Fred, and totally freaked about this big moving thing near him.

=S

This is one of those times when I wish I didn't have big dogs.

Anyway, so I walked them straight home and after feeding them left them outside (usually they get to come in after dinner).

Bf reckons they obviously knew they'd done something wrong.

I was rather ruffled.

I realised I should've left my address with the cat owner. Because last thing I want to know is that my precious Rosie has managed to kill a cat. Because the min that happens the owner is allowed to request I put my dog to sleep. People are very sensitive to dogs who kill other animals - particularly domestic ones.

And I've invested too much time, love and money to be putting my dog down.

At the same time I have to be a responsible dog owner.

Feeling a bit frustrated and upset about it all, really. Very unhappy with the dogs. I know it's in their nature to chase after prey, and cats are a nice start (although rabbits and other vermin would be better), still...

Being a responsible big dog owner can be a bit of a trial.



4 comments:

  1. Rosie, meet Heidi.  Heidi, meet Rosie.  You two must have so much in common - including cat chasing!

    Heidi cannot be let out of the house after dark without either being on the lead (every one else but me) or with me.  Or she will hear something and jump the fence.  Fortunately, she has always (the three times she has done it!) jumped the fence of the neighbours who like us, not the ones who hate us.

    And she chased Dogwoman's cat up the stairs and caught him.  Fortunately, Jake went limp, and Dogwoman managed to get her before harm was done - if it had been her other cat, things might (I suspect very strongly would) have been different!

    No off-lead out the house for my girl, that's for sure.  At least, not until she is too arthritic or old to move!

    I hope the cat Rosie chased is all right, and there are no problems.  Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dogs will be dogs. Sure hope that kitty is ok too!

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, sometimes dogs test your patience for sure. I get that feeling every time I have a UPS package. It's really embarrassing! Why can't they just be reasonable like their owners... not like we are obsessed over anything- LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. First thing is to *try* to perfect their sit-stay skill.  When you say stay, it meant STAY AND DO NOT MOVE UNTIL I SAY OK.  I know it's hard, I have to constantly practice that too.  For pulling, try a gentle leader, it doesn't work for Gigi, but may be it will work for you... or get the harness that I got for Gigi (don't know if you have that in Austrialia.  She seldom pulls when I put her on that harness.  Training is the key, IMO.

    Gigi loves to chase cats and birds too.  She "got to" my friend's bird one time, it was scary. 

    ReplyDelete