Wednesday, March 23, 2011

On The Outside

YIKES.

So I come home tonight to be greeted not only by a little wallaroo/wallaby fairly close to the house on the driveway, but also Elsie, running straight at the car as I reach the house.

The irony was that as I watched that little wallaby/roo hop past I think to myself, gee I hope that little thing hasn't been taunting my puppies. They might convince my puppies to try and risk the electric fence!

Next thing you know, out comes Elsie from the right running at me! WTF!!

I drive up and spot that the metal fence is down. I had put a table at the 'door' entrance to their pen and that had also fallen down. But in the other direction. The only thing I can think is that it has been so windy that it pulled down the big metal gate. Which in turn fell straight across the electric fence.

I would've stopped to take a picture but Fred was still within the pen trembling, being a good boy and refusing to come and join Elsie On The Outside. So I quickly sorted out the pen gates to reward Fred for his good behaviour. I just hope I was effusive enough with my praise when I got there. I probably wasn't. But either way, my Fred is a Good Boy. And my Elsie is a Bad Girl.

I wasn't sure how effective our electric gate was, considering that I've spotted Elsie lying quite closely to the fence in the past, and at one stage when the electricity wasn't connected, she was lying ON THE FENCE wire itself.

So seeing her On The Outside didn't necessarily surprise me per se. But I am pleased that Fred still believes the fence is active. That or Elsie managed to get out and didn't dare come back in. Since I assume the gate might've finished the circuit and was electrified as it's metal. Who knows. I'm definitely not about to test it to make sure it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment