Sunday, April 3, 2016

Happy Ginger goes on a Big Walk



 A big walk today. Took both pups out for a round the world trip of the property.

It was also a test to see how Ginger would do off lead. To be honest, we haven't really put her back on lead. As long as her recall is good, there's no need for her to be on lead at home.



She's only been with us a week and her recall is pretty good.



She responds well to her name, and interspersed with a few 'come! come! come!s' she comes back relatively quick. She roams pretty far ahead with Fred, but if all else fails, I call Fred, and she comes with.

I think it's a case of her wanting to be with him. Perhaps she's a little smitten.

It's only to be expected, Mummy. After all,  I am a handsome boy..

The other test was her interest in water.... the minute she spotted the dam, she went straight in. *sigh*
 




Looks like I have another water dog on my hands. To be fair, she did eventually get out when I asked her to. Although she did try to dabble back in when she thought I wasn't looking. Sneaky girl.


Fred on the other hand, only went down to have a drink. Good boy.

Once we got home though, I gave Ginger a wash down and was amazed to see her stand patiently and quietly as I wet her up, sudsed her down and rinsed her off. That's the easiest wash I've ever done in my life. Fred will fight it until he realises it's a lost cause. And then he'll suffer it until I let him go.

Rosie used to fight for her life.

And Elsie... actually, I don't remember what Elsie did, but I don't remember ever feeling like it was easy...

Ginger just... stood there. I was completely and utterly amazed. Suffice to say, she got a few chicken necks for that.

Overall it was interesting watching her on her walk. I really do like how her fur stands out in the bush. It makes it easier to keep track of her. She was soooo excited at the beginning, sniffing here, there, and everywhere. Not surprisingly, really, I guess.

 
She definitely seemed to relax into the walk, which was lovely to see. Her sits have gotten a LOT better too. She still jumps up a little bit, but not half as much as she used to. It's only been a week with us, but I think she's settling in well, and hopefully she's enjoying staying with us as much as we're enjoying her. She's certainly given us a few surprises, that's for sure, vomits and poos in cars notwithstanding.
I know that face. Elsie used to have a similar one on her walks.
Yes! Let's! Let's go for another walk!!

No comments:

Post a Comment