Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Walking the Puppies


First night walking them on my own. They (foster carers) must've been fast walkers when they said that Rosie was great on the lead. She pulled ALL the way. I didn't even want to walk them last night: 1. it was freezing cold, and 2. I knew that they'd been playing all day and had got enough exercise. But it's the good thing to do, if only once around the block so they could see something other than the backyard.

So there I am, with Rosie waaaay out in front and Fred slouching behind me. I didn't want Rosie in front (in case it gave Fred any ideas) so had to keep the lead short. Can you imagine my horror when a rabbit runs out from under the bushes, not ten mins into the walk?! Both dogs stopped and watched, trying to figure out how quickly they could pull it down. Meanwhile, I was backing away, taking the dogs with me.


The thing I love about these two? They're like a set of twins. Always running together, shoulder by shoulder. It's great fun to watch. And Fred is obviously a lot happier now than he was prior. You can definately tell the difference. There's no more moping around the house, scratching the green carpet or tearing stuff up. When he comes in, all he wants to do is collapse onto the rug and sleep. And I don't blame him one iota.

They're getting along great guns though. When we looked out at one stage, both were sharing the bed. Awwwwww...

We also let them into the house early last night, while the bf cooked on the bbq. It was amusing watching both of them hanging out at the door watching, hoping for food. They both eventually gave up, and you can see by the photos that he's pretty
bummed about not being included. Guess my cuddles weren't enough huh?

Food on the other side....Where's the food?Waiting for Food


The last photo is actually very good in showing you how different Rosie is from fred. see her back legs? She puts them up like Frogs..... Fred's so short and stumpy in comparison. No matter though - he's gonna be HUUUUUGE.




5 comments:

  1. The walking the dogs is actually a good way to show the dogs that you are the boss. Don't be like me and have the vet telly you over and over how your dog is undisciplined.
    I went all the way through to the beginning and you are so right, Fred really has grown just since you got him! He is so cute! Rosie seems to look a bit mean but I think it's because of her white eyebrow thing on the left eye. KWIM? Not really fair to her since she sounds like a brilliant pup.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - Fred's filled out a lot more. His legs have already become quite defined. I'm a bit apprehensive about what the Vet will say when he meets both this weekend. Especially Fred.

    I found out yesterday that he hasn't been vaccinated. =/

    They only gave him C4 at the pound, which is like half of the Parvo Vaccine. I'm tempted to coddle and not walk them anymore this week. But I know that's ridiculous. But the sooner I get him vaccinated the better, because I don't want to lose him over stupid negligence.

    Yes, Rosie can look quite mean. We think it's the staffy in her. They have a tendancy to look like that sometimes. But she can look quite sweet too. I actually love her markings. That last pic? She looks like a dragon! LOL. Her hind legs come up so high. You should watch her play. She jumps, and all the power comes from those legs. You can see herself preparing, like a windup toy.

    But yes, Fred is waaaay cuter. Not that I have favourites or anything...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL

    Fred is a puppy. He's a wolfhound cross, so he's going to be HUGE. Purebred Wolfhounds go up to 1metre tall. You should google up some pics. I've seen some really scary ones. Like, with a teenage boy (i.e. tall and gangly) wrapped all the around a wolfhound (!!!!)

    Rosie isn't technically a puppy anymore. She's 14months. And is pretty much an adult. So she won't grow any bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL

    yeah, they're supposed to be the biggest dogs in the world - bigger than great danes!

    bf argues fred's a purebred. but the pound say cross, and he doesn't look half as shaggy.

    so i reckon he won't get as big as a purebred, but if you look at freddy's paws, he's still gonna be pretty big. i reckon if you put him on his hind legs atm, he'd probably be close to my height. he's got a very long body.

    Rosie on the other hand, who is currently taller than him (but will not grow any bigger) - when she sits.. she's taller than me sitting on the ground! LOL.

    Right now Rosie runs like lightening around the backyard. Fred was chasing her, and he nearly knocked down the bf. LOL. And he's a big guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NOW I'm scared. LOL That's why I go for teeny weeny dogs, I'm scared that they'll knock me cold. Even with my current dog, I'm having trouble handling her since she's very strong (even though she's small). Blame it on lack of training though, since we're away from home since we got her as a pup and my parents take care of them. You know parents, since they don't have grand children yet, they're doting on the dog!! :D She's one spoilt brat may I say. Your Fred and Rosie, on the other hand, sounds very well-behaved! :)

    ReplyDelete